Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Reading the Clouds and into the Heat

Doing some explorations in the great expanses of central Nevada I enjoyed a clear starry night. However, some clouds arrived by early morning that showed classic instability. A bit surprising given the early morning. Having been cut off from radio, cell, and internet for a few days as well as being in a place where long range weather reports have to be a bit broad-stroke, I read the early morning clouds as problematic.




I cancelled my scheme of climbing (scramble/hike) another high peak and headed out to a paved road and towards my rendezvous location well to the south.

Reading the car thermometer as I dropped into lower valleys to the south was a big change from the high country and the highest temperature of my summer. The previous mark had been 105 in July.


I tolerate cold and wet (wet for one night) fairly well. But pitching camp on gravelly ground with no shade is like trying to sleep on a frying pan. So I went soft and went for a pool and motel.

No comments: