Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Don't Know Much About Mushrooms


Jon Krakaeur, author of Into the Wild has an update on his theory on the death of Chris McCandles (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/09/how-chris-mccandless-died.html). Something to think about when it comes to western Washington wild food.

My wild food diet is rather restricted - particularly when it comes to mushrooms. I was reminded of that last week while coming across a fair number of wild mushrooms in the field. I have limited my mushroom consumption to only two kinds and suspect that I am missing out on a variety of others. I did sprinkle some cut up chantrelle mushrooms on my Sunday pizza, but otherwise I mostly find the sudden explosion of fall mushrooms as a nice surprise in the forest and I reminder of how little I know.








No comments: